Alumni Update - November 2016

NEWS THIS MONTH

The First-Ever Frederick Douglass Global Fellows Have Been Named

CIEE partnered with the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education's Center for Minority Serving Institutions (CMSI) to create the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship, a nationwide initiative aimed at making study abroad more accessible to students from minority-serving institutions (MSIs). Named in honor of Frederick Douglass and his inspiring, meritorious character, the scholarship will offer $100,000 to students of color for study abroad. Frederick Douglass Global Fellows are determined and inspiring individuals from MSIs who possess high academic achievement, leadership skills, and communication skills, and have a history of service to others. Next summer, fellows will participate in a study abroad program in London, England to build on their intercultural and leadership skills. Learn more about the fellows.

Share Your International Exchange Story with the U.S. Department of State

U.S. citizens who have completed a Department of State exchange program, such as the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program, The Boren Award for International Study, and the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program, are invited to participate in the 2016 U.S. Exchange Alumni Citizen Diplomacy Challenge. Encourage more Americans to go abroad by sharing an inspirational photo, writing a personal narrative, or speaking at your school about what your exchange program meant to you. Getting involved is easy, and you might even win a prize! Take the challenge today.

Spend the Summer in Tokyo & More as a Global Navigator High School Program Leader

Do you have a passion for supporting high school students in their pursuit to study abroad? CIEE is hiring Program Leaders committed to the process of education, cross-cultural learning, and leadership development for the Global Navigator High School Summer programs in summer 2017. Apply to be based in one of 20+ countries where you will facilitate intercultural, experiential opportunities for high school students visiting the host country. Applicants with Japanese language skills are especially encouraged to apply. Apply online.

CIEE Announces Recipient of Second Annual Generation Study Abroad Access Grant

CIEE has selected Tennessee State University (TSU) as the recipient of a $20,000 grant to support an innovative faculty-led study abroad program titled “Intersecting Lives: Reading African-American Literature through a Black Feminist Lens” to be held in June 2017. The grant is part of CIEE’s Generation Study Abroad pledge to break down barriers and double the number of students who study abroad by 2020. TSU students who have never traveled abroad or do not have the resources to go abroad will get the opportunity to participate in the program, which is designed to change perspectives and foster an appreciation for global exchange. Learn more.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Happy Hour at Eataly Chicago with CIEE

Join fellow CIEE alumni for an evening of food and networking at the CIEE Alumni Chicago Chapter's upcoming happy hour meet-up. The event will be held at Eataly Chicago on November 11 at 5 p.m. Enjoy small plates and drinks while making new friends and reconnecting with others. Plus, meet the new chapter president and share ideas for upcoming events! Learn more and RSVP.

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for November is Ariana Sánchez Barrios. Born in Venezuela, this alum was an English Access Microscholarship Program (Access) participant and Youth Ambassador. She is also a CIEE Work & Travel USA alum, Civic Leadership Summit fellow, volunteer coordinator, and dynamic public speaker. What has motivated Ariana to accomplish so much at such a young age? Read her story to find out.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

“…Ubuntu helped us mutually recognize that instead of feeling pity or jealousy among one another, we were just human teenagers who wanted to talk and have fun. It made us realize that as long as we were all willing to recognize, appreciate, and enjoy the common human essence all of us have, our well-being and happiness can flourish.” -Diego Mendoza (CIEE High School Study Abroad in Cape Town, South Africa, 2016) Read his story.

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: Grace, one of CIEE's Campus Coordinators, alongside CIEE Study Abroad alumni from Amherst College, sharing their experiences with prospective study abroad students; CIEE Study Abroad alum Hannah Smalley with CIEE gear at the 2016 IIE Generation Study Abroad Summit; and a flashback to visiting a floating shrine in Japan, photographed by a CIEE Gap Year Abroad alum during her program.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - November 2016

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here