Alumni Update - January 2019

NEWS THIS MONTH

Announcing the Work & Travel USA Alumni Video Contest Winner

In October, we asked our alumni to show their amazing CIEE Work & Travel USA experiences through video to see what they took away from their time in the U.S. Thank you to everyone who submitted a video! The winner of the contest is Ionut Avramescu, a Romanian participant from 2017. Ionut talked about his experience working and living in Montana and how he sees American culture. Watch the winning video here. Make sure to check the CIEE Work Exchanges Blog regularly to read about the other video contest finalists!

CIEE's eLab Program is Underway

We're excited to announce that eLab, CIEE's entrepreneurship lab program, has officially launched! Aspiring entrepreneurs from around the world gathered in Berlin and London to attend six-week crash courses on how to launch a startup. Participants have engaged in design thinking workshops and other insightful talks on topics such as startup ecosystems and growth strategies. Follow eLab on Instagram and LinkedIn for more updates. Who knows, maybe you will join them next!

SPOTLIGHT ON FDGF ALUMNI

CIEE recently launched a series of articles by students of color who are breaking down barriers by studying abroad thanks to the Frederick Douglass Global Fellows program. The program awards 10 full scholarships a year so students at Minority Serving Institutions can participate in a four-week study abroad program focused on leadership and intercultural communication. These students will periodically share their stories, hopefully inspiring others to apply. Click the links below to read their stories and join our social media campaign using #CIEEmpowered  #MSInspirational #FrederickDouglassGlobalFellows to celebrate these extraordinary students.

Studying in South Africa and Learning Who I Am by Darielis Cruz

Overcoming Tragedy and Celebrating Life Again by Peire Wilson

Studying Black Identity in South Africa Transformed My Worldview by Chiagoziem "Sylvester" Agu 

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

"I couldn’t have asked for better friends than the ones I made during the program and they have definitely been a part of my moving forward. Being able to relate not only in our common interest in Japan, but in the experiences we had there, makes me grateful that I can still keep in touch with them." -Ria Jagasia (CIEE Study Abroad, Tokyo, Japan, Spring 2016)

"Working at camp taught me patience and gratitude. Many of the children we worked with came from very rough backgrounds and camp was a safe haven for them. As a camp staff, I felt it was important to give these kids the best summer ever. I’m humbled by the experience and grateful for the experiences I gained."  -Margarette "Maggie" Leandre (CIEE Camp Exchange USA 2017)

"I am very happy and appreciate all the things that I experienced on this trip. I think this time in the United States will help me be confident to conquer any challenges I will face in the future. I learned to be firm in one belief; if I believe I can do it, then I believe that I will, no matter what." -Fanyue Sun (CIEE Work & Travel USA 2018)

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE Study Abroad student recalls munching on fried scorpions at a night market in Beijing; Zhangqiao from China experiences her first job while on a CIEE Work & Travel USA program; the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland brings puppies, aka "Caravan of Cuddles," into CIEE's global headquarters to bring joy to CIEE staff during the holidays.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.