Alumni Update - February 2017

CIEE Alumni

NEWS THIS MONTH

CIEE Statement on Executive Order on Immigrants and Refugees

Since 1947, CIEE has brought together people from different backgrounds to humanize international relations, increase global harmony, and nurture peace around the world. International exchange is an enduring American institution, and CIEE is committed to protecting and advancing its long and strong legacy. Read the full statement. 

CIEE Work & Travel USA Participants Show Us Their American Winter

It's winter program season for CIEE Work & Travel USA, and time for the My American Winter photo and video contest. Participants from all over the world are using social media to share how they're experiencing winter in America. See some of the inspiring submissions on the CIEE Work & Travel USA Facebook page (click "View Gallery") or by following the hashtag #cieeworktravelers.

CIEE's TEFL Certification Course Helps Alumni with Career Transitions

CIEE’s Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification courses are offered at a variety of levels online with in-person coursework options to give participants the skills needed to teach abroad. The courses help prepare students for a new life and a new job abroad - teaching English! Tanur Badgley describes how his TEFL course was “my bridge from Topeka to Thailand” and helped him transition from a career in digital media to teaching with success: 

“This course has given me the confidence to step into my classroom in Thailand. The practicum gave me first-hand experience with teaching so I could better understand what was to come. [...] Now I'm in Thailand teaching English to 6th grade students and I use the skills I learned from my course every day. I have an awareness of how to build my lessons in a way that brings the learners along with me to eventually create projects using the English skills I taught them. I know many games and have access to many resources to keep English learning exciting. I'm able to blend together my new learnings from the teachers here in Thailand with my understanding of TEFL theory I learned in the course.”

Visit the CIEE TEFL website for more information.

Japanese and Chinese Language Teachers Wanted

Do you have a passion for supporting high school students in their pursuit to study abroad? Use your language and teaching skills abroad next summer with CIEE! We are hiring Global Navigator High School Program Leaders committed to the process of education, cross-cultural learning, and leadership development for the Global Navigator High School Summer programs in summer 2017. Apply to be based in one of 20+ countries where you will facilitate intercultural, experiential opportunities for high school students visiting the host country. Applicants with Japanese and Chinese language skills are especially encouraged to apply. Apply online.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for February is Virginijus Sinkevicius, CIEE alumnus and former Baltic-American Freedom Foundation (BAFF) intern. Virginijus participated in the BAFF program from 2013-2014, working in Washington, D.C. at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA). Two years later, he's elected to Lithuanian Parliament. Read his story to learn more.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

"Living in a homestay was the perfect option for me, since it was a chance to speak in Japanese to native speakers. Even when I wasn’t speaking, I was listening. My listening comprehension, arguably more than my speaking, improved tenfold just because I was surrounded by people who only spoke that language." from Studying Abroad in Tokyo: Moving Forward by Ria Jagasia (CIEE Study Abroad, Tokyo, Japan, 2016)

"Going to the USA is a memory I will always cherish. I met people from all over the world. People that now, after two years of being apart, I am still friends with."  - Andreea Cucos (CIEE Work & Travel USA, 2015)

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE Work & Travel USA joins Snapchat; Alumna Amy Sininger tells us about her CIEE Teach Abroad and TEFL experience in a video interview for the CIEE Alumni blog; and the CIEE Study Center in St. Petersburg prepares for another semester of new students.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - February 2017

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni