CIEE Staffing Update - April 2020

Communications

CIEE has retained many of our most experienced and skilled staff so that we remain prepared to support dozens of our study abroad programs as soon as world conditions permit. 

Heath, Safety, and Security

Photo for blog post CIEE Staffing Update - April 2020
CIEE’s Health, Safety and Security team will continue to be led by Bill Bull, who will be assisted by Colin McElroy.

Academic Affairs

The newly reorganized Academic Affairs team comprises the following individuals:

Dr. Cary Nathenson, Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs
Cary Nathenson joined CIEE in 2014, serving most recently as Regional Director of Operations with overall responsibility for the management of all aspects of the CIEE Global Institutes in Europe and Africa to ensure the highest levels of program quality and consistency. Prior to joining CIEE, he served as associate dean for Humanities, Arts, and Sciences at the University of Chicago Graham School, and oversaw the university’s Summer Session, which provides residential academic programs for high school and university students. He previously served as assistant dean for graduate programs at Northwestern University’s School of Professional Studies, where he developed professional master’s degree programs, including Northwestern’s first ever online degree program. Cary has also held faculty positions teaching German language and culture at the University of Houston, Northwestern University, Duke University, and Grinnell College. Cary lives in Berlin, Germany.

Dr. Ray Casserly, Academic Director, Teaching and Learning
Dr. Ray Casserly joined CIEE in 2011 and currently oversees the instructor training and development; pedagogical and curriculum development; and academic quality and standards assurance processes for the several hundred courses offered and delivered by CIEE. Ray co-designed and delivered hybrid training programs for instructors throughout CIEE, focusing on innovative objective-based pedagogical strategies and the incorporation of beneficial education technologies that place students at the heart of the learning process. Additionally, Ray has developed a comprehensive and holistic instructor development process incorporating the student and instructor perspective when identifying best practices, and opportunities for improvement, in the CIEE classroom and curriculum. Ray holds a doctorate in ethnomusicology/anthropology of music from the Queen’s University of Belfast. Ray lives in Belfast, Ireland.

Kathy Martin, CIEE Registrar and Director Academic Policies
Kathy joined the CIEE family in April 2003, after serving as a Study Abroad Advisor for many CIEE programs at The Pennsylvania State University. Kathy holds her M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology and College Student Personnel Services from the University of Louisville, and has a bachelor’s in Middle School Education. Kathy lives in Portland, Maine.

The new Academic Affairs team will be supported by Dr. Alan Masters, several experienced managers in the Registration department, as well as a network of experienced Academic Directors in our Centers. We are confident that this group of highly seasoned professionals will expediently facilitate CIEE’s fulfilment of academic responsibilities, and position CIEE for a swift return to normal once students return to our programs. 

Leadership for Global Operations and Program Delivery

Caroline Maas, Senior Vice President for Global Operations will continue to lead our global network of locations and programs. Caroline has been with CIEE since 2012, and brings with her 20 years of experience in international education. She holds an MBA from the University of South Carolina and a bachelor’s degree from Boston University. Caroline will be supported by many long-serving and experienced CIEE staff, including Clara Rodes, Vice President for Global Operations, and highly capable Regional Directors of Operations, Janine El Tal, Kenneth Choo, Erik Perez, and Jaime Ramirez. Caroline lives in Berlin, Germany.

Leadership for Global Enrollment Management and Institutional Relations

Seamus Harreys, Vice President of Global Enrollment, will continue to lead CIEEs student relations, marketing, and institutional relations for the Study Abroad division, now including customized and global internship programs. Before coming to CIEE, Seamus played a key leadership role in the design, launch, and expansion of the Northeastern University global expansion and led various units across higher education. Seamus holds a bachelor’s in History from Gordon College; an Ed.M. from Harvard Graduate School of Education; and an MBA in Global Business from Northeastern University. Seamus will be supported by experienced CIEE staff, including Stacey Benjamin and Tyler D’Andrea who will continue leading our institutional relationship efforts. Seamus lives in Boston, Massachusetts.

Internships and Faculty-led Programs

Patrick Moran, Executive Director, CIEE Customized Internships and Faculty-led Programs
Seamus will be supported by Patrick Moran in developing our customized internship programming across the organization. Patrick has over 13 years’ experience in international education and exchange with a focus on experiential learning programs, finance, strategy, and business development. Prior to joining AIC in 2016 as Executive Director of Finance and Administration, he was Director of Research and Business Development with CIEE and has managed relationships with over 40 Intern and Trainee J-1 Exchange Visitor visa program partners sending over 6,000 participants to the U.S. from around the world.

Stephanie Levy, CIEE Global Internship Director
Stephanie joined AIC in 2015 and now serves as the CIEE Global Internship Director. Originally from Tennessee, Stephanie has lived and worked in Germany for more than 20 years. During that time, she has organized and presented cultural and foreign language workshops and seminars for a variety of organizations and institutions in Berlin, Munich, and Hong Kong. Stephanie has also developed and led online learning programs with participants from more than 50 countries. Stephanie and her team in Berlin will be responsible for coordinating centralized employer support and internship training and development across the CIEE global network.

Matt Byrnes, Director, Global Internship Conference and CIEE Conference
Matt joined AIC in early 2011 to establish the Toronto operations and to create the Global Internship Conference (GIC) at UC Berkeley in June 2012. He has more than 25 years of high-level service experience from the Conference Management and Incentive Travel industries. Matt has been Director of both the CIEE Annual Conference and Global Internship Conference since 2018. A proud Torontonian and Canadian, he is eager to share his hometown with international internship students.