The U.S. Department of State requires a minimum level of health and travel insurance coverage for all participants of CIEE Professional Exchange Programs.

There are two ways participants can meet this requirement:

Insurance Provided by CIEE

The majority of interns and trainees* will be covered by standard CIEE insurance, which includes the following coverage:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • Maximum Benefit: $1,000,000

‚ÄčAll participants not covered by CIEE’s policy must receive equivalent insurance coverage (provided by the host organization or a third party) that meets the same minimum U.S. Department of State requirements.  

Please note: CIEE insurance is also available for a fee to research scholars, short-term scholars, professors, and specialists.

Insurance Provided by Host Organization

Many host organizations provide medical insurance coverage as part of their compensation for participants of Research Scholar USA, Short-Term Scholar USA, Professor USA, and Specialist USA. If your host organization intends to provide insurance to you as part of your program, CIEE will verify (during the application process) that the insurance policy meets U.S. Department of State’s minimum requirements.

Please note: In most cases, insurance provided by host organizations doesn’t include repatriation and medical evacuation – provisions required by the U.S. Department of State. If this is the case, your international intern, trainee, or professional will need to be covered by CIEE insurance.

Note About Workers' Compensation (J-1 Interns & Trainees Only)

The U.S. Department of State requires all paid J-1 interns and trainees to be covered by their host organization’s workers’ compensation policy (unless the organization is exempt by state law). If the intern or trainee is unpaid, CIEE may be able to accept coverage under a general liability policy.

Please note: This does not apply to research scholars, short-term scholars, professors, or specialists.

Note about the Affordable Care Act

CIEE insurance does not meet U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA) regulations. As a result, there may be tax implications if your program lasts more than two years. Please consult a tax professional for more information.

If you have any questions about insurance, please contact us.