First Few Days in Toulouse

Kate Mulvihill

We have had a busy start to our program in Toulouse!

Travels on Saturday/Sunday went smoothly overall. Students were greeted by their host parents at the Toulouse airport before resting up for their first day of orientation on Monday. Monday’s highlights included an overview of academics on program. All students signed a Language Pledge, committing to speaking French as much as possible during their four weeks in Toulouse.

Students also learned the dos and don’t of living with a host family, and tips for getting around town. Toulouse has buses, a metro, and a tram line. Most students use at least one of these methods to get to class- and some walk! CIEE staff led a short tour around the Carnes neighborhood, pointing out good places for students to grab déjeuner (lunch), as well as pharmacies, markets, and more.

On Tuesday morning, students started their French classes! During the afternoon, they learned about safety and security in the city, as well as the importance of bystander intervention. The day finished up with a longer tour around the city with a guide, who gave historical context to a number of landmarks in the city. This is going to be a great group, and I am sure the four weeks will pass quickly!