November Alumni Update

NEWS THIS MONTH

CIEE Alumni Speak to Current Students in Paris About Expat Life

CIEE Study Abroad alumni Winnie Andrews and Michael LoJacono spoke alongside other American expats for a lecture at CIEE Paris last month. They presented about their own career paths that brought them to Paris, the challenges and advantages to living and working in France, whether they feel like they belong in France and if they belong anymore in the U.S., and the differences between being an expat and an immigrant. Current CIEE Study Abroad students asked the alumni a range of questions to paint their own picture about expat life in France, such as different types of work contracts, navigating the French healthcare system, and what to pack for a move abroad! It was an excellent opportunity for current students to learn about building a career in France after studying abroad there.

An Opportunity for CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad Alumni

It's the time of the year for giving thanks, and CIEE is giving thanks to our High School Study Abroad alumni with the Season of Thanks contest. Tell us, what study abroad experience are you most thankful for? From now until December 15, share a special study abroad memory (photo/video and caption) for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card. It's our way of giving thanks for our amazing Global Navigators! Learn more and enter.

Thailand Needs Teachers

English competency is becoming increasingly important in our global economy. This creates a need for more English teachers to provide Thai students educational opportunities so that they are prepared for the competitive job search and don’t get left behind. Thailand is focused on improving their students’ proficiency, and they need smart driven people like you to do it. As a CIEE alum, you already know the importance of intercultural exchange and education. Join us in educating Thailand’s future generation of leaders. 

Travel, get paid, make a difference – Teach in Thailand. 

Three CIEE Study Abroad Alumni Participated in IIE Summit

Last month, we had three study abroad alumni participate as Alumni Voices in the 2017 IIE Summit on Generation Study Abroad in Washington, D.C. The theme for this year's Summit was "Navigating a Changing World: Building Talent with Global Experience." As Alumni Voices, our alumni contributed their experiences, thoughts, and ideas based on their personal experience transitioning from a study abroad student to a member of a global workforce. Hear about their experience at the Summit, the people they met, and more on the blog.

UPCOMING EVENTS 

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alumni of the Month for November are Hannah Rafkin and Meg Robbins, CIEE Study Abroad alumni and recent Bowdoin College graduates who studied in Cape Town, South Africa in 2015. After an amazing experience abroad, the two friends fantasized about returning to Cape Town in a meaningful way. Two years later, they are back in South Africa, working on a documentary about the stand-up comedy scene and how it’s bringing new means of expression for speakers of lesser-known languages in the country. Learn more about this creative duo and their project. 

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

"My experience in Ghana shifted my college and career path. I chose to move from Vermont to Florida to be around a more diverse population. I also started my college career as a journalism major, but quickly added an international and cultural studies major to allow myself to learn about where different people come from and the roots of their cultures." -Kaylee Haskell (CIEE Global Navigator High School Study Abroad 2013, current CIEE Study Abroad participant)

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: Representatives from CIEE and U.S. Senator Angus King from Maine in Washington, D.C. at J-1 visa educational session for congressional members as part of continued support to #SaveJ1; CIEE Teach Abroad alumna remembers good times in Thailand on World Teachers' Day; CIEE Work & Travel USA alum visits CIEE's office in Portland, Maine all the way from Siberia to see staff and share her beautiful paintings that were inspired by her time on exchange in Maine.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here