Civic Leadership Summit Virtual Reunion

This week, alumni from the CIEE’s 2014 Civic Leadership Summit participated in a virtual reunion event. The Civic Leadership Summit is an annual event for participants from the CIEE Work & Travel USA Program and Internship USA program to focus on intercultural awareness, civics, and social entrepreneurship.

Participants from eight different countries, including Russia, Afghanistan, Ireland, and Turkey, connected to reflect on how their participation in the Civic Leadership Summit had an impact on their lives. Here’s what they had to say:

I have learned how to be self-confident and grasped the importance of standing against some rooted norms and misconceptions. I have urged people to broaden their perspectives.

-Berkay Babaoglu, Turkey

Once I came back [to Bulgaria], I started to be more active around campus. I became a tutor of a couple of courses and then became part of the Phi Beta Delta society. I helped in the organization of the international week at my university, which consisted of several events…I was a team leader in the Panel Discussion event, an event that brought together professors and students with the topic of Culture Shock.”

-Ina Gjika, Bulgaria