CIEE Alumni, Interns, and Trainees Gather in New York and Oakland

Sarah B.

Current and past CIEE participants made connections from coast to coast this summer, with two special events held in New York City and Oakland, Calif.

More than 80 participants, alumni, and staff from 18 countries gathered on June 28 in Central Park for a picnic lunch and fun with Frisbee, horseshoes, and touch football. The casual outdoor setting made it easy for guests to unwind and compare experiences. Participants from all areas of CIEE enjoyed the chance to share their experiences from studying, working, and teaching abroad, and exchanged perspectives with young people from all over the world who are gaining valuable professional experience in the United States. 

Just before the picnic, nearly 40 CIEE Internship USA and Professional Career Training USA participants met to learn more about the Big Apple – their current home away from home – with a guided tour of the Museum of the City of New York. The visit reflects CIEE’s commitment to helping J-1 participants explore and engage in American culture.

On the west coast, nearly 70 alumni, intern, trainee and summer work travel participants, and special guests representing 13 countries gathered July 10 at the Oakland Museum of California for an evening of culture and cocktails. There were many opportunities to mix and mingle as guests explored the exhibits “Super Awesome: Art and Giant Robot” and “Vinyl: The Sound and Culture of Records.”

Like other CIEE alumni events, these gatherings helped CIEE participants forge new friendships and build professional networks in the spirit of understanding and growth through ongoing global exchange.

“The best part of these events is the new connections that are made,” says Dan Olds, CIEE’s director of alumni relations. “It’s wonderful to see a New York native who has studied in France exchange thoughts with a young French student about her time in Paris and pass along the name of a colleague, for example. These links help our participants keep international exchange alive long after they travel abroad.”

See photos from New York and Oakland.

Be the first to hear about our next alumni event – join the free CIEE Alumni Global Network now!