Extending or Ending Your Program Early
When plans change – and sometimes they do – CIEE will do everything possible to accommodate you. Whether you want to extend your program or end your program early, know that we’re here to help. For more information, please continue reading below.
PROGRAM EXTENSIONSClick to Open
If your host organization is interested in extending your program and you have not yet reached the maximum program duration, it may be possible to extend your program. To qualify for a program extension, you must:
- Extend your program by at least three weeks
- Remain with your original host organization
- Not exceed the maximum program length (60 months for participants using the J-1 Research Scholar or Professor visas; 6 months for participants using the J-1 Short-Term Scholar visa; 12 months for participants using the J-1 Specialist visa)
Please note: It is not possible to extend your program after your DS-2019 expires.
APPLYING FOR AN EXTENSIONClick to Open
To apply for a program extension, contact CIEE or your international representative four to six weeks in advance of your original program end date. They will provide the necessary paperwork required for an extension to be submitted to CIEE for review. Once CIEE receives the application, the review takes about 15 business days. If the extension application is approved, CIEE will send a new DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status to your host organization.
To apply for an extension, you will need:
- A completed CIEE Application for Program Extension
- Copies of your original DS-2019, J-1 visa, and passport
- A new invitation letter outlining the proposed additional project
ENDING YOUR PROGRAM EARLYClick to Open
If an unexpected circumstance or event requires you to end your program before your program ends, please tell your supervisor at your host organization and contact CIEE as soon as possible at 1-888-268-6245 or at email@example.com. Please provide a brief explanation of your reasons for leaving, the date you plan to leave the U.S., a summary of your departure flight details, your DS-2019 number, and your supervisor’s full name and telephone number.
Ending your program will involve the following steps:
- You and your host organization must agree to a last day. Depending on the situation, this can be immediate. However, you should give two weeks’ notice (if possible).
- Your DS-2019 will be shortened to reflect your last day at your host organization.
- CIEE insurance will be canceled one day after you depart from the U.S.
Please note: A participant cannot shorten their current program for the purpose of starting another program.