Professor working at desk

J-1 Research Scholar/Professor Transfers

Click to scroll down and read more
  • Student studying at desk
  • Business professionals collaborating
  • Office workers at desks

How It Works

Our goal is to make the application and transfer process easy for all parties involved.

Fill out the contact us form and a CIEE J-1 expert will be in touch to answer questions and provide the application materials.

Once the application is submitted, we will be in contact with the current sponsor, J-1 participant, and host organization to confirm the agreed to transfer date.

The participant can begin their role at their new host organization the date the transfer is processed!

Transfer Participation

  • Transfers are most commonly due to a participant agreeing to a new research or professor role with a new host organization.
  • With a transfer, the J-1 participant is not required to leave the US or receive a new visa.
  • We can extend the program dates of a participant up to the 5-year maximum program duration at the time of the transfer.
  • Once the transfer is complete, we will provide the participant with their updated DS-2019.
  • J-2 dependents will be transferred with any J-1 participant transfer.
Our Promise to You

At CIEE, we pride ourselves on our ability to meet the needs of our participants and host organizations. If you have any questions, our experts are here to help.