Short-Term Scholar USA
Sponsoring Your J-1 Short-Term Scholar Visa
CIEE Short-Term Scholar USA is for professors, researchers, scholars, or professionals from around the world who wish to visit the U.S. to lecture, observe, consult, demonstrate special skills, participate in seminars, workshops, and more. If that sounds like you – and you have a pre-arranged opportunity, but not a visa sponsor – then we can help.
Examples of Eligible Projects
- A PhD candidate from Belgium analyzes a technical project for five months at an American tech startup in California.
- An optical engineering expert from Spain designs an experimental protocol program for two months at a university in New England.
- A Swedish foreign national develops models and the understanding of limitations to Augmented Reality experiences delivered from a 5G, edge and cloud set-up at a multinational networking and telecommunications company.
- A leading museum practitioner spends three weeks consulting with student teams to discuss on-going projects and collaborating with local museum professionals.
How It Works
Our goal is to make the application and immigration process easy. That way you can spend your time focusing on what really matters: international collaboration.
As a CIEE Short-Term Scholar USA participant, you will:
- Fill out an application and gather supporting documents
- Submit your application
- Schedule your visa interview with your nearest American embassy
- Book your airfare
- Travel to the U.S., visit your host organization, and get started!
Have You Been Invited to the
Keep in mind that CIEE is not a placement service. In other words, we do not find host organizations on behalf of our participants. CIEE acts solely as the visa sponsor for participants who have pre-arranged opportunities in the U.S. Learn more about finding a placement.
Connecting Global Leaders, Creating Lasting Impact
Led by the U.S. Department of State in partnership with organizations like CIEE, BridgeUSA brings together the next generation of current and emerging young leaders through unmatched cultural and professional exchange programs.
Learn more about BridgeUSA