Professor & Research Scholar USA

Exchange Fresh Ideas and Energy with Top International Talent 

Click to scroll down and read more

CIEE makes it easy for professionals to come to the United States on a temporary visa through our Professor & Research Scholar USA program.

The Professor & Research Scholar USA program fosters the exchange of ideas between foreign countries and the United States, and stimulates international collaboration and research efforts. It promotes mutual enrichment, further strengthening ties between the nations, and providing invaluable career and personal development opportunities for participants to leverage in their leadership roles upon return to their home countries and institutions.

Professional Scholar Information

Request information

Who Do We Work With?

We help law firms, companies, institutions, and individual professors and researchers obtain J-1 Visas in the United States.

As a J-1 visa sponsor designated by the U.S. Department of State to administer the J-1 Professor and Research Scholar Program, we assume a number of duties and responsibilities:

  • Assistance in the application process
  • Issuance of the “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status” (Form DS-2019) to successful applicants
  • Orientation materials for participants
  • Customer service and 24-hour emergency support for participants and host institutions
  • Program monitoring through evaluations
  • J-2 Visa sponsorship for qualified participant dependents

Professor or Researcher Eligibility

To qualify for a J-1 Visa in the United States, the applicant must:

  • Be accepted to participate in a professor or research exchange from a qualified host institution and be able to provide an invitation letter
  • Be a professor or research scholar in a foreign country and be engaged in teaching or research in a specific area in which they have made significant contributions
  • Not be a candidate for a tenure track position

Host Institution

Eligible host institutions include research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions.

The host institution must describe its capacity to host the professor or research scholar.

A site visit may be required at the beginning of the process to ensure that the host institution can meet the U.S. Department of State requirements and CIEE policy.

Host institutions must offer professors and research scholars opportunities to experience local culture by inviting them to share in holiday celebrations, attend sporting events and local festivals, and participate in other community events and activities.

Application process

Both the applicant and the U.S. host institution must submit an application, along with supporting documents.

The application process should begin 4–6 weeks prior to the professor or researcher’s start date at their U.S. host institution.

Please contact CIEE to obtain the applicant and/or U.S. host institution application.