Sunrises, School Visits, and Host Families

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Devin S.

Dumalang! 

Oh boy, I know I have a lot to catch you up on, so let's jump right in!

Wednesday morning was an early one! We woke up before the sun, bundled up, and quickly drove to a high corner of Mokolodi to watch the sunrise. While it was chilly, seeing a beautiful Botswana sunrise was absolutely worth it. After taking many pictures and admiring nature, we returned to the Education Center to learn about the physical geography of Botswana. However, we all know a field trip is the best way to cement a lesson into your brain, so we later traveled to the Gaborone Dam! Here, a technician showed us the inner workings of the Gaborone Dam water. In one of several water treatment plants at the site, we were shown how dam water flowed in and was cleaned before being deemed potable (usable for drinking and agriculture). After this, we traveled down the road to the physical dam. In addition to getting a spectacular view, we learned about one of only nine dams in Botswana. Next, we switched it up and had a music class where the Global Navigators learned to play the drum! They jumped right in and had a great time!

Thursday was a busy day for the Navigators. First thing in the morning, we heard over to one of Gaborone’s public schools. Here, the Navigators were able to attend some classes and spend time with the local students. The Navigators were able to see a typical day in the public school in Gabs. It was safe to say all students had a great time! Afterward, the Navigators headed back home and had another Setswna lesson. As it was a busy morning, they had the night off and relaxed around the fire. 

On Friday, we headed back into Gabs, but to a private school this time, Legae Academy. Here, the Navigators sat in on classes, practiced marimba, played sports, and danced! The school was also kind enough to do a braai for us (similar to a barbecue), we chicken, sausage, steak, chakalaka, and so much more! We had a blast at the school but were also able to see the differences between a public and private school in Botswana, and the differences between American schools. Not wanting to end the fun there, we came back to Mokolodi, grabbed our blankets, and headed to a campsite! We disconnected for the night and spent some quality time with each other. Friday was filled with smores, stories, and someone snoring!

This takes us to Saturday! Saturday morning, we left the campsite and returned to Legae Academy. The students were split into pairs and spent the day with a host family! It sounds like they all had an amazing time, from eating to visiting a game reserved to attending a wedding, the students had full and fun-filled days! Everyone returned to Mokolodi…and a little surprise. One of our Navigators turned 18 today, and you better believe we were gonna celebrate! We snacked on cake and played games the rest of the night. 

The first week has been eventful, and there is so much more to come! As always, stay tuned.