Feria de Abril

Kate M.

¡Ha empezado la Feria!  The Feria has started! The second most well known festival in Seville is underway and so far a huge success. Many years ago, the Feria was a different gathering - people from surrounding cities and towns came to Seville to buy and sell livestock. Over the years, it has conformed into more of a festival than a business gathering. Now, people gather to dance, eat, drink, and enjoy each other’s company. 

The Feria grounds are situated right behind the neighborhoods of Triana and Los Remedios, fortunately very close to where my friends and I live.   The grounds are bare all year long, except for this one week. The streets are lined up with public or private tents, called “casetas”.  Friends and family spend the whole day here-until the wee hours of the night, enjoying the lively atmosphere of dancing and laughing.

There are public casetas and private ones. Obviously for the private ones you need an invitation or know someone to enter. Usually families, clubs, and even political groups have private casetas. In the back of the normally small space, there is a bar with typical food and drink for the Feria (pescado, jamón, rebujito….) In the front, there are areas to sit and dance.

The horses are a big part of the Feria as well. The popular thing to do is ride to the Feria in a carriage. The horses are nicely groomed and decked out with fancy harnesses while pulling their passengers.  

One of my favorite aspects of the Feria were the paper lanterns. They enhanced the color and uniqueness to the grounds, plus added an extra beauty at night, when they were all lit up.

I also loved admiring all the women’s dresses. In Spanish, they are called “trajes de flamenca” All of them were stunning.  I never saw two of the same one.

I had a great time partaking in the Feria festivities - eating, spending time with friends, intermingling with Spanish locals, and attempting to dance. ;) Hopefully I will be able to come back to Seville during Feria in the future.