Memories of Studying in Seville

Amanda Grant is a senior at Western Washington University studying English literature and Spanish through the Honors College. In 2014, Amanda participated in CIEE’s Study Abroad program in Seville, Spain.

Why study abroad in Spain?
I’d wanted to study abroad for as long as I could remember! I thought it’d be a great way to explore the world while still in college, so I decided to make it happen the summer after my sophomore year. I studied Spanish in high school and college, and knew I wanted the ability to travel around Europe during and after my program, so Spain was on my radar from the start! Once I did some research into the area, I knew I wanted to visit. Spain sounded like a beautiful country filled with amazing people, and that’s exactly what it turned out to be!

What shocked you the most about living in Spain?
I come from the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time and 70 degrees is considered blisteringly hot. I’d been warned, but nothing could prepare me for the HEAT southern Spain is famous for! I was there in July and August, the hottest months of the year, and it was usually over 90 degrees on my walk to class in the morning. Fortunately, though, my host mom lived right above an ice cream shop!

What was your favorite activity to do on the weekends?
Each weekend while my program was in session, CIEE took all of us traveling somewhere. The first weekend we went to Córdoba, the second Granada, and the third my group went to London, England. At each spot, we had guided tours as well as free time to explore the area. I loved these little excursions, since they showed us areas of Spain (and England) I might not have gotten to on my solo travels!

When you weren’t studying, did you travel at all?
I first traveled on the CIEE organized trips. The last weekend of the program, my friends and I went to Cádiz, a small city on the southern coast of Spain, to explore the beach. After my program ended, I traveled solo for a week, then visited family friends in Valencia and Barcelona before meeting another friend in Madrid. That same friend and I spent another week exploring Portugal before my flight home! I loved the additional traveling I got to do—there was a new adventure every day!

What do you miss the most about Seville?

Oh man. I think what I miss most is the daily exposure to a history and culture so different from the one I’ve grown up with. On my first day of class, my professor casually walked us past a site of Roman ruins, explaining that they were actually a problem for construction workers in the city. It was impossible to go anywhere without running into ancient ruins, amazing buildings, and such incredibly friendly people! I spent most of my time adjusting to Sevilla, walking around, looking up and around me, and taking in the insanely cool surroundings.

(I also miss churros con chocolate, tapas, and the magical creation that is the siesta.)

How has studying abroad helped you in your education?
Studying abroad showed me a self-confidence I didn’t know I had. Going into my trip, I researched everything I possibly could and planned out as many parts of the trip in advance as possible. But once I got there, not everything went exactly according to plan, and I learned that that was okay! I could carry everything I needed for two months in one backpack, I could learn a few words of Portuguese to communicate with the locals in line for the ferry, and I could realize that the bus to the next city left three hours before we thought it did and still make it. (Incidentally, that’s when I learned that it is in fact possible to sprint three blocks in 90 degree heat with a massive hiking backpack on). This self- confidence has been very useful in my education. Not only is my Spanish way better, but I’m now more likely to speak up for myself and be my own best advocate in the classroom and beyond!

Where do you want to go next?
For my next trip, I think I’d like to go back to Europe. I spent one day swimming in the Mediterranean, but that wasn’t nearly enough time! I’d like to go back to Spain as well as visit France, Italy, and Greece. My family is from Scotland, so I’d love to visit there too! Ideally, I’d do another epic European adventure—visiting more countries on my list! After that, who knows?