Alumni Update - April 2018

CIEE Alumni

NEWS THIS MONTH

CIEE Staff Reflect on their Experience Volunteering in Puerto Rico

CIEE brings people from across the world together in shared experiences that build bridges between individuals and communities. In this spirit, CIEE sent 10 staff members to Puerto Rico in February 2018 to volunteer with local service organizations helping communities devastated by Hurricane Maria. The volunteers packaged food for distribution with Banco de Alimentos de Puerto Rico, painted a community facility with Asociación Pro Juventud Y Comunidad de Barrio Palmas, and prepped meals with World Central Kitchen. Click the image below for a video of staff reflecting on their experiences:

Thank you to our employees from across the globe who represented CIEE in Puerto Rico! In CIEE shirts in the image above, from left to right: Alan McLellan – Portland, Maine, USA; Julie Terzian – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Stacy Sullivan – Portland, Maine, USA; Tian Song – Santiago, Dominican Republic; Alicia Ludidi – Cape Town, South Africa; Tina Lee – Seoul, South Korea; Francisco “Paco” Diez – Alicante, Spain; Oumaima Farik – Rabat, Morocco; Julia Pons – Portland, Maine, USA; Joanna Blanck –  Portland, Maine, USA.

CIEE Hosts Justice for Women Lecture Series Event

On March 29, CIEE hosted a powerful presentation by peace activist Marian Jalabi at our global headquarters in Portland, Maine as part of the Justice for Women Lecture Series – an effort that brings distinguished speakers to Maine from around the world to promote a global conversation about justice for women and girls in both Maine and the developing world. Ms. Jalabi presented the audience with a unique perspective on the crisis in Syria by sharing stories and photos of Syrian women of the revolution. It was an informative event that represents our shared values of bringing the world together. View the recording here.

Leverage Your Knowledge of China into a Career

Do you study abroad in China or study Chinese language? Attend the US-China Strong Foundation's China Careers Summit in Washington, D.C. to learn how you can utilize your knowledge about China for a career. Experts and employers across a variety of sectors are offering talks, panels, and site visits to give American college juniors, seniors, and graduate students practical guidance on the wealth of job opportunities available to those with China expertise. Learn more.

J-1 Alumni Meetup in Madrid

CIEE alumni gathered in Madrid for a networking event with CIEE staff, employers, and representatives from the U.S. Department of State. Conversation flowed as new connections were made. The group also enjoyed a speech from a CIEE Internship USA alumnus about his amazing internship experience. We look forward to hosting alumni meetups in other global locations! See photos from the event.

UPCOMING EVENTS 

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for April is Peter Sima, who participated in the CIEE Internship USA program in 2014. Peter traveled from his home country of Slovakia to sunny San Diego, California for a year-long internship in the online marketing department at ESET - one of the world's leading antivirus companies. The experience inspired him to start his own consulting business helping nonprofits expand their digital presence. Learn more about Peter's amazing work!

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

"I will never forget the day I arrived at camp. Having watched the Vega videos at least 16 times, I thought I knew what to expect. I was way off. The lake was so much clearer, the trees were taller, and the road was much bumpier than I imagined! When travelling down that stunning lakeside road, never did I think that I would leave here a different person: more complete, more confident and more of the person I wanted to be." -Conor O'Rourke (CIEE Camp Exchange USA, 2017)

"Over the years, I’ve been fortunate enough to have some really amazing summers. However, nothing can top spending my summer in New York City, living with 30 exchange students from all over the world, travelling to more than 10 states in the U.S., and making so many of my dreams come true." -Carolin Richly (CIEE Internship USA, 2015-2016)

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE Camp Exchange USA Alum Conor reminisces about the summer of friendship he had in the U.S.; throwback to the first Civic Leadership Summit in 2013 to kickoff application season for this year's event; Announcing the CIEE Teach in Spain Great Grant Giveaway, where two lucky winners will get $250 off a CIEE Fall 2018 Teach in Spain program!

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.