Decide what sort of experience you want
Define your goals
Before you begin your search, you should think carefully about what you want to accomplish through your internship. Although it’s important not to limit your options too much, being clear about your goals will help to narrow the search.
Questions to consider
- Are there specific skills you want to work on, or professional knowledge you want to acquire?
- Are there specific companies that you would like to intern with?
- What kind of organization do you want to intern with? Nonprofit or for-profit, big corporation or small company, small office or large office? Is the type of organization more important or less important than the training you will receive?
- How long will you be able to stay?
- Are you looking to do an internship in a particular city or location?
As your first step, list your goals in order of priority. Keep them in mind as you start to explore opportunities. Not only will this help you to find the right opportunity, having clearly defined objectives will also impress potential employers during the application process.