ciee - council on international educational exchange

J-2 Visa for Dependents

A Participant’s dependents may accompany them to the U.S. during their program by obtaining a J-2 Visa. The participant’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old are eligible for J-2 Visas.

How to Apply

To apply for a J-2 Visa for your dependents, you must submit a CIEE J-2 Dependent Application form. Your CIEE representative can provide you with this form and answer any questions you have about how to complete it. You can submit a Dependent Application either at the same time as you submit your program application, or later during your program.

For each dependent applying for a J-2 Visa, you will need to provide the following along with your Dependent Application:

  • Complete biographical information
  • A copy of their passport
  • Proof of dependent status (marriage certificate for spouse, birth certificate for child)
  • Proof of insurance coverage for entire stay in the U.S.
  • Proof of financial support for each J-2 dependent for the entire length of the program, in the amount of $1000 per dependent, per month. CIEE will accept a certified copy of the J-2 dependent's bank statement, or proof that the J-1 is making enough money to cover both themselves and their dependent.

Please note that CIEE does not provide insurance to J-2 dependents. You must purchase separate insurance for any dependents who will accompany you in the U.S. The specific insurance requirements for J-2 dependents are listed on the J-2 Dependent Application form. You can also ask your CIEE representative if you have additional questions.

Enter the WYSE Work Abroad Video Contest and you could win US$2,000!

As a member of WYSE Work Abroad, CIEE encourages you to showcase your creative talents by joining WYSE Work Abroad’s “Expand Your Horizons” Video Contest. Submit a 2-3 minute video about your work abroad, volunteer, work and travel, or internship experience, and you could win US $2,000!

Find out more about this exciting contest by visiting the contest microblog site:

The 2011 contest is now closed. Check back in April 2012 for details of the 2012 contest!

Be sure to notify WYSE Work Abroad that you’ve entered the contest by emailing them your name and the title of your video. You must also indicate that you are a CIEE Work & Travel USA participant.

If you have questions, please visit the WYSE Work Abroad website or email them at