SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is the U.S. Government system for tracking all visitors to the U.S. You must register for SEVIS when you arrive, no later than 10 days after the start date listed on your DS-2019 Form.
Registering for SEVIS is a requirement of your J-1 Visa. Failure to register for SEVIS, update your contact information, and/or failure to complete your monthly check-in requirements will result in your Termination from the Work & Travel USA program.
How to Register for SEVIS
To register, call CIEE at 1.888.268.6245. Have your DS-2019 number, address information, and employer information available.
What if my arrival is delayed?
If your arrival in the U.S. is delayed beyond the 10-day registration period, contact your representative to request a new DS-2019.
What if I change my address or contact information?
If you change your address, phone number, or email address, you must contact CIEE within 10 days of the change to update our records.
Other things to remember about registering for SEVIS
- You must be in the U.S. to register. Do not register from your home country.
- You cannot register before your DS-2019 start date.
- You can register with a temporary address, like a hotel or hostel, but you must update your address if you move.
- If you do not have a job, you must still register for SEVIS.
- CIEE recommends you register for SEVIS at least two days before you apply for a Social Security Number.
- You need to register for SEVIS even if you already have a Social Security Number.
CIEE is here to help you follow the rules and regulations of your visa. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding SEVIS.