ciee - council on international educational exchange

Important Documents

These are the key documents that you will need throughout the duration of your program. Please keep them in a secure location. Scan or make photocopies of your program documents, and keep the copies separate from the originals. If you lose the documents, contact CIEE immediately at 1.888.268.6245 for advice on replacing them.

DS-2019 Form: This document shows that you are authorized to train in the United States. It indicates that you have the sponsorship and support of CIEE, and should be taken to the U.S. Embassy in your home country when you apply for your J-1 Visa. The document contains the dates of your internship, as well as your sponsorship identification number (DS-2019 Number). If you intend to travel outside the U.S., CIEE will need to fill out the travel validation box on your DS-2019 form, and issue you a Letter of Good Standing. Please make sure that you have signed and dated the bottom of this document.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: This document is issued by the U.S. Embassy in your home country, and will be inserted into your passport. Your passport and J-1 Visa are required for entry into the U.S. Additionally, your J-1 Visa will specify the number of times you are allowed to enter, or reenter, the U.S.

I-94 Arrival Card: You will receive this document during your flight to the U.S. Your I-94 Card is required when applying for your Social Security Number, and you will have to present it if you plan on leaving and reentering the country during your program.

Program Handbook: This should serve as your primary resource during your program. Please be sure to read the handbook thoroughly, and refer back to it often.

Letter to Social Security Officer: This letter explains your J-1 Exchange Visitor status to the Social Security Officer who will process your Social Security application.

Confirmation of Insurance Form + Insurance ID Card: This CIEE-issued document serves as a confirmation of your health insurance coverage dates. You should not be in the United States outside of these dates because you will not have insurance coverage.

SEVIS Fee Receipt: Confirmation of Insurance form + Insurance ID Card: This CIEE–issued document serves as confirmation of your health insurance dates and provides basic coverage information. Your insurance ID card is located on this form and serves as your proof of insurance. CIEE recommends carrying your insurance ID card on you at all times.

DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan: This is the official summary of your training. You should keep a copy with your other important documents in case you need to refer to it. Visit the Applicant Resources section to learn about the DS-7002 in more detail.

Please be aware that you will need your I-94 card in order to apply for a Social Security Number if you don’t have one already. Also, when your program ends and you depart the U.S., your I-94 card will be taken by a U.S Customs Official as a record that you departed the U.S. at the end of your authorized stay. So you’ll need to keep it safe until the end of your program.

I94 Card
State Department Welcome Brochure

State Department Welcome Brochure

This brochure is produced by the U.S. State Department and contains additional information about the J-1 Exchange Visitor program.

Enter the WYSE Work Abroad Video Contest and you could win US$2,000!

As a member of WYSE Work Abroad, CIEE encourages you to showcase your creative talents by joining WYSE Work Abroad’s “Expand Your Horizons” Video Contest. Submit a 2-3 minute video about your work abroad, volunteer, work and travel, or internship experience, and you could win US $2,000!

Find out more about this exciting contest by visiting the contest microblog site:

The 2011 contest is now closed. Check back in April 2012 for details of the 2012 contest!

Be sure to notify WYSE Work Abroad that you’ve entered the contest by emailing them your name and the title of your video. You must also indicate that you are a CIEE Work & Travel USA participant.

If you have questions, please visit the WYSE Work Abroad website or email them at