SEVIS & Social Security Number
SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, and you are required to register for it. Things to remember about SEVIS registration:
- You cannot register for SEVIS until after you have landed in the United States
- When you call to register, have your DS-2019 number, current address in the U.S., and host organization information ready
- If you are delayed and will arrive after the deadline, contact your agent for a replacement DS-2019 form
- If you change your address, you must supply your new information to CIEE within 5 days
- If you do not register, report a change of contact information, or complete your evaluations on time, your program may be terminated
- CIEE is here to help you follow the rules and regulations of your visa. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding SEVIS
APPLYING FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
If you do not already have a Social Security number, you will have to apply for one in order to get paid, open a bank account, and pay taxes. It is legal for you to begin your program before a Social Security number has been issued, but you must have a receipt of application; this shows that you have applied.
To apply, visit the nearest Social Security office 5 business days after you register for SEVIS. Bring the following documents with you:
- Passport and J-1 visa
- I-94 number (optional, but recommended)
- Letter to Social Security officer (optional, but recommended)
Time-saving tip: You can complete the application form (SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card) in advance to save time.