Required Documents

To participate in our programs, and to enter the U.S., you will need certain documents. Some of these documents will come from CIEE, your CIEE international representative, or your host organization; others, like your passport, are your responsibility.

Take the documents listed below to the U.S. with you. Be sure to keep them in a safe place at all times. When traveling, be sure they are in your carry-on bag and not your checked luggage. Also be sure to scan or make photocopies of each document in case of loss, theft, or damage. Store these copies in a different location from the originals.

Documents Provided By CIEE Or Your Host Organization

DS-2019 form
This document shows you are authorized to intern or train in the U.S. It indicates that you have the sponsorship and support of CIEE, and it must be taken to the U.S. Embassy in your home country when you apply for your J-1 visa. The document contains the dates of your program, as well as your sponsorship identification number (DS number). Please make sure that you have signed and dated the bottom of your DS-2019.

DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan*
This is the official summary of your training, and proof that you will be engaged in an approved program in the U.S. Learn more.

SEVIS receipt
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security keeps track of visitors with a system called SEVIS – the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Once you have paid your SEVIS fee to your international representative, you’ll receive a SEVIS receipt that you must take with you when you go to the U.S. Embassy to get your visa.

Confirmation of insurance and insurance identification card
Make sure you keep your identification card with you at all times; you must present it to your health care provider if you seek medical treatment. Otherwise you may be charged for more for the services.

Letter to Social Security officer (optional, but recommended)
This letter explains your J-1 Exchange Visitor status to the Social Security officer who will process your Social Security application.

*Participants of the 1-Year Graduate USA Visa Program will not complete their DS-7002 until after they arrive in America.

Documents You Need To Obtain On Your Own

Your home country is responsible for issuing your passport. If you already have a passport, you need to make sure that it’s valid for your entire trip. Please note: Before granting your J-1 visa, some U.S. Embassies require you to hold a passport that expires at least six months after the last day of your program. You can check with the U.S. Embassy in your home country about its specific policy. Once you have your passport, contact the U.S. Embassy again to schedule an interview to apply for your visa.

U.S. J-1 Exchange Visitor visa
Take your DS-2019, SEVIS receipt, and passport with you to your interview at the U.S. embassy. Your CIEE international representative can help guide you through the process and may also help you arrange the interview. Contact your representative directly for more information.

U.S. J-2 visa for dependents (if applicable)
Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 are eligible for J-2 visas. Learn more.

Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Card
The I-94 number is issued upon entrance to the United States. You may go the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s I-94 website after you have arrived to download and print a copy of your number.

Documents You'll Receive On The Airplane

Customs Declaration Form 6059B
Fill this out before you land, and give it to the customs officer. Instructions are printed on the form. You will not keep, nor do you need a copy of, this document; it is just for U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s use at the airport.