"I WANTED TO LIVE THE EXPERIENCE AGAIN"

High School USA

Every year, we give students the opportunity to come back to the U.S. on another CIEE High School USA program. Coming back to the U.S. allows students to improve their English skills, continue to learn about, and explore, American culture, and advance their academic goals.

Meet Almudena, from Spain. Alumdena is on her second year in the U.S., and told us she decided to come back to the U.S. to live the experience again with a new perspective.

Homecoming Dance!

Why did you decide to come back to the U.S. with CIEE for another year of high school?

I decided to do another year as an exchange student with CIEE because my first year was amazing and I wanted to live the experience again. Last year, everything was new to me but I wanted to live it again in a different way. I wanted to see how it would be in another year, with a completely different point of view. I already knew English. I already had that first impression, so I wanted to enjoy it differently, better, in a new state, in a new family. And I’m really glad I made the decision.

"I wanted to see how it would be in another year, with a completely different point of view."

Would you recommend coming back to another student?

I definitely recommend to other students to coming back to the United States with CIEE. A second year gives you plenty of opportunities to live the experience the way you want. Different state, with different goals and achievements. It gives you the chance of trying new things. It is not living the same year two times, it is living two completely different experiences the best way possible.

Almudena making paella, a native Spanish dish, with her host dad

What has been the best part of coming back for another year in the U.S.?

The best part of coming back for another year has been meeting my now sister Bam (she is from Thailand), with whom I´m doing a double placement. And of course, meeting my host family. They make everyday fun and I'm really lucky to have them.

Almudena and her host sister, Bam, from Thailand.

Thanks for sharing your story, Almudena!

You can come back to the U.S. for another year with CIEE too, and receive $1,000 off your program fee. Click here to learn more.