American Entertainment: Some Guys Hitting Each Other...WITH CARS!

Alfonso G.

So as you have probably guessed from the title, I went to an event called "Demolition Derby" and trust me it's just as fun as it sounds. Well, technically I didn't go to it, I also helped to organize it.

To give you a little bit of context let me start by saying that my host father is a volunteer firefighter and the fire department in my city is in charge of organizing the Derby. So I had the perfect opportunity to get some volunteer hours done and attend to this event.

The organizing process started on a Saturday morning, I spent all day helping with whatever I could, hanging advertisement posters, carrying equipment and some other stuff. I also had pizza for luch (yes, it has nothing to do with the story but I felt like writting it).

By the end of the day the derby started, I will try to explain it as simple as possible so here it goes: you have a small stadium, a bunch of cars and a guy who has the great idea to get in the cars and start smashing into each other, then whoever's car can still move and it's not in flames wins, simple.

Personally I loved the experience and I mean who wouldn't, loud cars bumping into each other, it's one of the best things I've ever seen in my life!  After the event and the clean up (that wasn't my favourite but it had to be done) I got about 14 hours of volunteering and I really enjoyed it.