Rothenburg ob der Tauber

High School Abroad in Germany

Asha R.

If you've never heard of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a town on Germany's notorious "Romantic Road", you might've seen pictures of its famous Plönlein (little square). It has made an appearance on countless bucket lists, coined a "fairy tale town". My best friend Kaylee recommended that we visit Rothenburg after she visited there last summer and couldn't stop taking about how charming it was. Because it lies conveniently more than halfway between Amsterdam and Austria, we decided to put it on our list as a sort of resting point to cut up our driving time. 

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a town in Bavaria, a state in southern Germany. Although the outer town of Rothenburg is like any normal town, the most well known part of it is the walled-in medieval village. 

Photo for blog post Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Our hotel, Romantik Hotel Markusturm, was located a short walk away from the market square and offered accommodations more unique than the hotel chains that are so popular back in the States. 

After eating dinner the night we arrived, we met up with around fifty other tourists in the market square for the Nightwatchman tour at 8 o' clock. Our tour guide, dressed as a nightwatchman from the middle ages, took us through the city and explained the history of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. 

Because we were in Rothenburg on Easter, the town was decorated accordingly. All throughout the village there were strings of real blown out decorated eggs.

FullSizeRender (84)

After the old town of Rothenburg was damaged during WWII, people from all over the world helped fund its reconstruction. Each contributor received a plaque on a certain stretch of the surrounding wall, according to how much money they donated. 

My mom, grandma, and me took an early morning walk on Easter to take pictures and explore. First we headed towards the wall, searching for the stairs. After ascending the stone stairs, we continued along the narrow walkway, occasionally stepping against the wall for friendly tourists to pass us. After walking for about ten minutes, we exited the wall and made our way through the streets, eventually coming to the market square and the Plönlein.

FullSizeRender (83)

My time in Rothenburg ob der Tauber was short and sweet. Hopefully I'll get a chance someday to return and see what more this quaint town has to offer!