An Irish St. Patrick's Day

High School Abroad in Ireland

Annie J.

I've always wondered what St. Patrick's Day is like in Ireland. It's the one holiday that makes everyone think of Ireland, rainbows, and leprechauns. First of all, it's not as big of a deal to Irish people as I thought it was. There aren't any specific celebrations or traditions that my family does for the special day, but there are parades in every town. I went to a parade with a few of the other exchange students near me. Everyone was wearing green, but most people were tourists, not locals. The parade consisted of a few American high school bands, some floats, people dressed up dancing, and a bagpipe band. Also, it lasted about 30-45 minutes. I somewhat expected it to be bigger, but everyone still enjoyed it and had a great time. The crowds were huge and it was the busiest I've ever seen the town. We could barely find a place to eat lunch after the parade. We walked around all day after the parade and found a park to chill in. When it was later, we stumbled upon a small fair with a ferris wheel and a few rides. At night, we all rode up on the ferris wheel and saw a beautiful view of the city at night. The whole day was amazing and it was one of the best days of my experience so far. 

If you're thinking of studying abroad in Ireland or have any questions about St. Patrick's Day or anythig else, you can DM me on instagram @annie.hope.