Looking to make your trip more affordable?
Here are some ways to defray expenses. Devise a doable plan on your own, or join forces with other student travelers to brainstorm a fundraiser. Reach out to those with similar interests, and explain the educational or service-learning work you’ll be doing overseas.
- Pet sit or dog walk
- Mow lawns or do yard work
- Wash windows
- Do a car wash
- Hold a traditional bake sale with an international twist!
- Hold a yard sale
- Sell clothing and other items on eBay
- Ask family and friends if you can use their frequent-flyer mileage
- Be a “user tester” for websites
- Make a website for a local business or charity
- Teach adults how to use social media. (A one-hour session with five people @ $10 each = $50.)
- Tutor elementary or middle school students
- Teach English as a second language online
- Put on a live musical performance
- Hold an art exhibit (for artists and friends)
- Put on a play or mini musical
To promote your services or performances, design and create some eye-catching business cards and/or flyers! Be sure to describe the educational or service opportunity for which you are raising money.
For alumni-proven fundraising tips, download the Student Fundraising Toolkit!