So far so good?

Esaaba A.

So I have been thinking a lot about what to write for this blog and I realized that it was really difficult writing something out of the blue without any guidelines. But guess what I realized something. This feeling was just like taking a gap year. You go into a gap year abroad with many expectations. But the truth is there are really no guidelines or rules that help you. Yes you may be able to read on other's experiences to prepare yourself. You may find some resourceful things online as well but there really is no strict way of going about it. Instead this is what I have been doing so far to get my so far so good experience.

1. Make a schedule

The only way to survive and make sure you meet your deadlines is by making a schedule. Plan your day to day activities or at least plan what you want to get done every week. Make them specific and tick them off as you get them done. You will be surprised at how much you can achieve.

2. Make a budget and put down everything in writing

One major problem you face while abroad is spending. You want to buy everything you want to go everywhere. You want to do and try everything. But guess what? EVERYTHING needs and demands MONEY. So make a budget and make sure you write everything you buy down that way you are able to track your spending and keep your self in check.

3. Make new friends

Be open to making new friends and it does not really matter where. Make friends with your baker, your grocer, the mailman if you have one. Especially in a place with another language aside English. Making friends with the locals will help you to practice the language since they are most likely not to speak English. Also try hard to speak the language all the time. It is better to speak it and be corrected so you learn than to shy away and learn nothing at all.

4. Grab all the comfort you can get

I know how difficult it can be to be in a new place abroad away from your family and friends and regular lifestyle. It can be hard and you might get homesick like crazy. But hey it's the twenty first century guys you can do something about it. Face time your parents once in a while. Let them know you are fine, know they are fine too. Look at pictures of your loved ones send them pictures too let them know you are fine and let them share in your experience. Also don't hold it in all the time. Talk to people and let them know how you feel ask for their opinions on things it will help you to make better decisions. The last thing breath, go to the park, run around, take in some fresh air you will be glad you did.

I hope this will help you to have a better time abroad. All the best!!