Granada-Spring Trip

Kate M.

Spring has sprung in Granada. The almond trees are in bloom and the remaining traces of winter can be seen on the snow-capped mountains of the Sierra Nevada.

Photo for blog post Granada-Spring Trip

Last time I visited Granada, I saw some pretty cool things, except I did not visit the main attraction of the city: La Alhambra. This time, I got the chance to see the ancient castle. “Alhambra” means the red castle, and it’s called that for a good reason. When the sun sets on the building, it turns a deep, burnt red. Inside the Alhambra it is like a whole other world. During the early days of Spain and Granada, the Alhambra was the castle of the Moorish Kings. They had a long reign until 1492 (does that year ring a bell?), when Christian rulers King Ferdinand and Isabel II re-conquered Spain and Granada. 

The Alhambra was a mini city in itself. There were places to live for the servants, architects, and designers of the castle, and outside there were vegetable gardens and shallow reflection pools to relax and enjoy the surrounding nature.

Detail, detail, detail

Did you know that there is a famous book about the Alhambra?  It’s called, Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving. He wrote the book during his stay in the castle while traveling throughout Spain. If you are looking for a good book to read, I recommend this one.

We also went to the Albayzin, or the old Moorish quarter of Granada. Typical characteristics of this neighborhood are the narrow, winding streets and white houses. You can easily get lost if you are not paying attention to where you are going. Fun fact: the buildings are white so that they don’t attract the heat from the Spanish sun.

Granada is a must-see for those who are planning to go to Spain. It is a melting pot of cultures sprinkled with rich history for everyone to enjoy.