Gap Year Abroad Check List

High School Gap Year
  1. Flights – Approximately two months before departure, CIEE will provide all participants the arrival date, arrival airport and window to arrive at the airport so that you can book your flights.  Once you have booked your participant’s flight, please upload the itinerary to their CIEE My Account.  If you have any questions about this, please contact gapyearabroad@ciee.org.

2. Check the “To Do” list in your participant’s CIEE My Account and  make sure all tasks are completed on time!

3. Visas - Does your participant already have a visa appointment (if applicable)?  Instructions for doing so are available in your participant’s CIEE My Account.  Visa appointments fill up quickly, so make your appointment now!  The appointment should be 2 – 2 ½ months prior to departure. Also, start putting together the documents you need to take to the Consulate.  Some things can take a long time to get, so start now!  CIEE will send you some of the required documents and we will provide them as soon as they are available from our in-country staff.

4. Baggage - As you and your participant start to sort through what to pack, please consider airline restrictions on baggage.  Take it from experience – don’t over pack!  Your participant’s room abroad may be smaller than their room at home, and they will need to be able to carry their own luggage during travel.  Airlines have strict baggage rules on number of items, weight, and size.  Be sure to check with the airline(s) on which your participant will travel to familiarize yourselves with baggage restrictions.  Restrictions can vary from airline to airline so make sure you do your research.  Overweight baggage is expensive!

5. Packing List: In the “Readings” section of your participant’s CIEE My Account you will find a comprehensive packing list.  Please be sure to check it out. 

• Medications – Please plan ahead of time to ensure your participant has all the medications they need. They must bring enough prescription medication to last their entire time abroad as well as a copy of the prescription (generic form as brands may vary from country to country).  We advise against participants changing any prescriptions immediately prior to their program or stopping any medications without the consultation of their guiding physician. Furthermore, students taking anti-depressants or other medications for mental health are advised to continuously take their prescribed dose. In an effort to keep participants safe and happy, if they are having questions, concerns or thoughts about changing and stopping their medication during the program, they should speak with their doctor or CIEE staff before doing so.