Host Family Guide: Suburban & Rural Transportation

High School USA

CIEE High School USA participants are not allowed to drive. As such, host families are responsible for helping their international students get to and from school and extracurricular activities. However, this does not mean you must personally drive your student wherever they want to go. You are a parent, not a chauffeur!

In a suburban or rural environment, public transportation options may be limited. This will depend on where exactly you live. If a public bus system is available, your international student may take advantage of it. If not, there are still ways your international student can get around without relying solely on you and your personal vehicle:

• School bus: Many school systems offer private bus transportation to and from school. Check with your school for more information about the route and schedule.
  • Carpooling: While your international student isn’t allowed to drive, they are allowed to ride with classmates, friends, or family members. Since high school students are more likely to drive in a rural or suburban environment, this is one of the best ways for international students to get around!
  • Biking: Biking is a cost-effective, easy, fun, and healthy way to get around. However, biking can be dangerous – especially on roads without bike lanes. If your international student plans to use a bike, be sure they know the rules. Bike laws by state can be found at The League of American Bicyclists.
  • Walking: If your international student isn’t traveling a long distance, walking is one of the best ways to explore a community. However, it’s important that you go with your host student the first few times; that way they can get a sense for their surroundings.

Photo for blog post Host Family Guide: Suburban & Rural Transportation

It’s important to remember that many international students come from urban environments and are used to moving around independently. As such, it helps to establish expectations around transportation so you and your international student both understand how they will get to and from school and extracurricular activities. It’s also important that you, as the host family, help acquaint your international student with these modes of transportation. Guide them through the process. Go with them the first few times. Help them navigate. Soon enough, they’ll be self-sufficient!

Ready for the adventure of a lifetime? Start your host family application today!