The Feelings of Saying Goodbye to a New Hello

Skyler F.

As I will soon be switching host families, I felt it would be important to share how I feel about leaving my original Host community. Although I have had very conflicting feelings about leaving, I am very excited about what my journey as an exchange student is to hold. 

I am saddened to leave my host community as it is where I have grown to be comfortable around my friends, teammates, and host family. It feels as if leaving the people will be the hardest part as I have made many great friendships over the past few months. I am also sad to leave behind where I have formed memories, although I know I will form many more great memories. I am also very anxious to meet my new host family as they are people I have never met before and I have no clue what they are like.

I am also very excited to see what my new host community is like. I feel it will be an experience filled with many new hangout spots, friendships, and learning opportunities. I feel this is also preparing me for going home as I will be very excited to see the people I knew before. I am also very excited to meet my new host family as they will show me a different family lifestyle in Germany and the similarities and differences between German communities.

Overall, it is a very conflicting set of emotions. Which I think is valid for me to have, as during an exchange year, you go through many different types of emotions. Although in the end, I am trying to focus on the positive side of switching to a new host family as it holds many positive new outlooks.