Preparing to Study Abroad
From meeting with guidance counselors to applying for visas, the study abroad planning process has many moving parts. This guideline details a number of important things to keep in mind and look out for, up to a year before your intended departure.
8–12 Months Prior:
- Discuss your study abroad interests, school policies, and how to stay on track for graduation
- Research and choose the right study abroad program for you
- Apply to study abroad program
6 Months Prior:
- Receive acceptance to study abroad program
- Apply for a visa (if necessary)
- Talk to your guidance counselor about earning credit for your program abroad
1 Month prior:
- Receive placement details
- Attend predeparture orientations
- Get answers to lingering questions
- Start getting excited!