TEFL Abroad Costa Rica
Volunteer teaching English in Costa Rica for four months
The Costa Rican Government´s Department of Labor sponsor young adults to receive English classes in their local community and have the chance to better their current life situations. The goal of the program is to help these students gain employment at local businesses where a basic to intermediate level of English is required.
As a lead-teacher on this program, you will be volunteering for four months, teaching 30 hours per week to one group of students and setting aside an additional 10 hours for planning. Students will be between the ages of 17-24 and are beginner level.
Program Fee: $1,100
- CIEE 150-hour TEFL Certification Course
- Airport pick-up from San Jose Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
- 4 day arrival orientation, including accomodation with host family
- Housing with a local Costa Rican host family in a private room
- Three meals per day provided by host family (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Transportation to teaching site
- Access to laundry service
- 24/7 support from the local coordinator and partner Program Coordinator
- All teaching materials and a course syllabus for easy planning
- Flight Bonus upon successful completion of program ($500 USD)
- University Degree (preferably in Education or ESL/TESOL)
- CIEE 150 hour TEFL Certification (included)
- Teaching ESL experience (preferred)
- Experience volunteering in your local community or abroad
- A clean and current criminal background check
- Basic Spanish ( preferred)
- Age 21-50
- Native English Speaker
- Technology savvy (must have your own laptop)
- The desire to strongly impact the lives of young, at risk Costa Rican young adults
- Ability and desire to live and work in Costa Rica for four months
- Apply here
- Once initially approved, your application will be sent to Costa Rica
- Costa Rica will conduct a Skype interview and have the final say on whether you are accepted or not.
- If accepted, CIEE will help with the pre-departure process, including visa document preparation.
Compensation: Housing provided with a host family / 3 meals a day included
Course cost: $1,100 (includes 150 hour TEFL certification course)
This program does not include in country support from CIEE. Once you arrive in Costa Rica, your main point of contact will be local staff not affiliated with CIEE. If you are interested in teaching abroad with in-country support from CIEE, check out our Teach Abroad programs.