My First Day of School

High School Abroad in Spain

Lily G.

The last time I was this nervous for a first day of school was probably my first day of school in second grade after just moving back to the United States. I had lived in Barcelona for two years so you could imagine my eight year old mind feeling all the nerves of a completely new school in a completely different contenent. I didn't think I would feel that way again until today when I started my first day of, what would be my sophomore year in the US, high school in Madrid. Luckily, I am almost fluent in Spanish so I knew I would easily comunicate with my peers. I can say with ease that CIEE did a great job preparing myself and everyone else from the program for this experience as all it took was a positive attitude and an open mind in order to cruise through the day without too many worries. I met a classmate who very kindly led me to every class and talked me through my day since we had the same schedule. I learned how to play a new game in P.E called "balonmano" which was really fun until I realized how much I was sweating! Soon the temperatures will start cooling down though. I feel  lucky because my school was very welcoming and I have already met people who are interested in me as an American and want to take me out. Overall my first day of school went great and has me excited for the days to come.