My Best Friend is a Dictionary

High School Abroad in Spain

Madison P.

So the title is true, the dictionary has been my best friend ever since I arrived in Spain. I have spent so much time glancing through the pages trying to understand the conversations around me and trying to express myself that it has been attached to my hip, but I have found that I am using my dear old dictionary less and less lately. It is almost my half way mark in Spain, and I have been thinking about my time thus far and my improvement in the language. 

Before coming to Spain, I had studied Spanish for four years in my high school. I know that all of my teachers were great, and they did teach what I needed, which has helped me an immeasurable amount here, but there is always going to be a difference between the study and the application. Now as I am getting better, I realize that I had known a lot of what I am using, so it just takes some digging through my brain. 

I am able to understand far more than I am able to speak which only makes sense. I have more opportunities to listen in school, on the bus or just at home. I have become a master at eavesdropping, for educational purposes of course. I am able to read a book without much difficulty because many words are similar to English, so I at least can get the gist. I know my ability to speak Spanish is improving, but it can be frustrating at times because I can not express what I want. Sometimes I think Spanish is so easy and wonder why I am not fluent yet, and then other times I think Spanish is the most difficult thing on the planet (subjunctive is still difficult to wrap my mind around) and wonder if I ever will be able to have a conversation. I know this is going to be little by little, so I am going to take the small victories and pat myself on the back. 

Future Students: Do not have unrealistic expectations for a deadline that you must learn Spanish by, or it will drive you insane. Do have goals for yourself and for your learning that you have to work at but that you can achieve. I know this sounds weird, but don't think before you speak because the worst thing that can happen is that you are wrong, which will also happen a lot, but eventually the missteps will lead to success. Put sticky notes up of words you don't know in places that you go often because it will help, I promise.