Getting Through The Low Parts

High School Abroad in Spain

Siena M.

Getting through the low parts!

So far my experience in Spain has been great, but no matter where you are in life there will be ups and downs. I have had a great experience in Spain so far, but I would be lying if I said I’ve been happy every minute. So without further ado here are some tips to make it past the low moments.

1. Reach out to friends. 

- I wouldn’t recommend talking to your parents or your other CIEE friends at the exact moment your sad. Because your CIEE friends are either happy and you might bring them down or they’re going through the same thing and won’t be able to help. And I wouldn’t recommend parents because ,as good as there intentions, seeing you sad will make them sad and over the phone they will probably struggle to give you the tough love you need. 

2. Laugh

- watch a good comedy or even some old vines. Any video that never fails to make you laugh is always the best medicine. 

3. Get out

- Sitting in your bed ,while it may seem appealing, is the worst thing to do. You can cry it out a little but after it’s important to even just walk around the block or take a nice shower, Sitting in your bed will make you feel stuck and like you can’t do anything to fix your current situation. 

4. Put things in perspective 

• Remember that your experience here is limited, and while not easy, it’s important to make the best of it. Whether that means talking a little more, or breaking out of your shell a little bit, DO IT

Good luck, you got this!
-Siena 

Instagram: @sienanoel_

^I'd love to chat if anyone ever needs anything!