Culture Shock to the Extreme

High School Abroad in Spain

Madison P.

The culture shock did not hit me all at once but little by little. I knew going to a different country that there would be differences (shocker), but I did not expect so much to be different. The differences have ranged from my schedule to the family dynamics to the way the light switch flips. Sometimes it is overwhelming because I have had to change so many little things, but they are all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I found the culture shock actually enjoyable most of the time because I love new things. Everyday is a new adventure more than it is back home. The culture shock allows me to learn about the way of life in general here, and it forces me to be a flexible person.

Not only is there culture shock, but there is homesickness too. The homesickness did not hit me until this past week. I had my birthday, so all my family and friends were sending the nicest messages, then there was homecoming at my school and then it was my aunt's wedding. It is hard to be away from everything I have known, but this experience is a once in a lifetime one. I am thankful to have Nora and Oona to talk to about homesickness with because they go through the same exact thing. If we are ever feeling homesick, we will try to go out and do something because it does not allow us time to think about it. 

Future Students: This experience will test you, but it ultimately will make you a better and more independent person. If you ever feel homesick, go out and do something because sometimes the worst place to be is in your thoughts. The best medicine for homesickness is to do something to get your mind off of it. Your life at home will be there when you return, so make the most of your time abroad. Try to find someone that is going through the same experience because they are the only people that can fully understand. Also bring some food from home that you can go to if you are ever feeling down. I never knew peanut butter could change my mood so much until I was here. 

With love,

Madison