3 Best Cities for Study Abroad in Greater China

Intensive Chinese Language

If you’re eager to study abroad in Greater China and are looking for more information on some of the best Chinese cities, look no further than this blog post as we dive into the best places to study abroad in China!  

Beijing vs. Shanghai vs. Taipei Study Abroad  

Beijing, Shanghai, and Taipei are all incredible metropolises that also serve as some of the best cities to study abroad in. Each of these cities features unique cultures, attractions, and histories – you’ll be pleased to study abroad in any of them.  

Beijing, one of the world’s oldest and liveliest cities, is known for its magnificent temples, palaces, and outdoor sites, including gardens, and of course, the Great Wall of China, as well as its bustling modern culture. 

As one of the globe’s major economic hubs, Shanghai blends new and old with fascinating modern architecture, museums, rich history, and beautiful natural landscapes.  

Considered an island city, Taipei is located in Taiwan, also known as the Republic of China, in the East China Sea. Taipei is known for its cultural and economic strides in the geographically small country and boasts its own intriguing museums, markets, history, and more.   

Beijing  

As the capital of China and one of the busiest cities in the world, Beijing is a vibrant place packed with ancient history. With a Beijing study abroad program, you’ll be immersed in Chinese culture and learn more about the country’s past, as well as its evolving modern-day society and values. Fun fact: Beijing is home to six UNESCO World Heritage sites.  

A few sites we consider must-sees during your Beijing study abroad travel:  

• Forbidden City: A palace complex built in the 1400s, featuring one of the largest and most well-preserved ancient structures across the globe. 
  • The Great Wall of China: This is a once-in-a-lifetime sight to see. Fun fact: Astronauts can view this magnificent construction from space, so it’s highly possible that seeing the Great Wall of China in person will likely leave you speechless.  
  • Temple of Heaven: A UNESCO World Heritage site, this ancient religious temple was once a sacrificial altar.  
  • National Museum of China: Containing hundreds of millions of historical and cultural artifacts – this museum is astonishing.  

Featured Program: Intensive Chinese Language   

Improve your Chinese language skills and deepen your understanding of Chinese society with our Intensive Chinese Language program in Beijing. As one of the top languages spoken in the world, learning Mandarin Chinese will set you up for success in any industry that piques your interest.  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Credit: 16 semester hours/24 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Featured Course: Language and Culture Practicum  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit Tiananmen Square  

As one of the best cities to study abroad in China, Beijing will keep you busy and deepen your global perspective immensely!  

Shanghai 

Shanghai is considered a popular travel and study abroad destination in China for good reason. With a deep global impact in a variety of industries, an innovative modern culture, and a unique history, there’s something for everyone in Shanghai.  

A few attractions we consider must-sees during a Shanghai study abroad adventure:  

• Yu Garden: A beautiful and extensive Chinese garden that packs a ton of history and architecture.  
  • Shanghai World Financial Center: As one of the tallest buildings in the world, this structure is truly something to behold, and a bonus: there are shopping malls on the ground floor.  
  • The Bund: As a protected, historical waterfront area, you’ll get out-of-this-world views of the city from here.  
  • Nanjing Road: One of the busiest streets in the world, this bustling area features shoppers from across the globe.  

Featured Program: China in a Global Context   

Dive deep into all things China with our China in a Global Context study abroad program in Shanghai. Including language courses, politics, history, economics, culture courses, and more, you’ll learn a lot all while getting to explore the fastest-growing city in the world.  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Credit: 15 semester hours/22.5 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Featured Course: Modern Chinese History  
  • Excursion Highlight: Take a Chinese cooking class. 

With a wide variety of things to do and see, Shanghai is one of the best places to study abroad in China.  

Taipei 

Offering modern advancements, a unique history, incredible cuisine, and amazing indoor and outdoor attractions, a Taipei study abroad program is an experience like no other. While you get to learn about this island city’s culture and traditions, you’ll be blown away by Taipei.  

A few things we consider must-dos during your Taipei study abroad trip:  

• Raohe Street Night Market: A lively market packed with incredible food, including some Taiwanese staples like beef noodle soup, hot pot, and more.  
  • Yangmingshan National Park: A stunning national park offering hiking trails and conservation areas as well as incredible views of the city.  
  • National Palace Museum: With thousands of ancient artifacts, this museum paints a robust picture of Chinese history.  
  • Longshan Temple: This fascinating temple built in the 1700s has quite a history of natural disasters, making it a unique cultural symbol.  

taipei night market ice cream

Read More: Taiwan Study Abroad: The Ultimate Guide  

Featured Program: Chinese Language + Asian Studies  

If you’re interested in Chinese language and Asian studies, this is the perfect program for you! While adventuring through the fascinating city of Taipei, you’ll take a variety of intriguing courses and be able to easily apply your classroom knowledge to your incredible surroundings.   

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours/18-27 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Featured Course: Intercultural Communication and Leadership  
  • Excursion Highlight: Explore scenic hiking trails and breathtaking views 

Get on Your Way 

Beijing, Shanghai, and Taipei are some of the best cities to study abroad in Greater China, as some of the busiest and oldest cities in the world, there’s much to explore in each of them. You’ll have a robust study abroad adventure in each one. Get started on your explorations today!  

EXPLORE GREATER CHINA STUDY ABROAD