Before You Leave Camp
As you near the end of your camp contract, you may be wondering: What do I need to do before I leave? We’re glad you asked! Below you will find a list of things you need to do before you leave your camp:
- Give your contact information (address, email, telephone number, etc.) to your camp so they can mail your W-2 form to you. This form is required to file your taxes.
- Collect your final paycheck. If it is not possible to collect your final paycheck before you leave camp, ask your camp when and how you will receive payment.
- If you have applied for but not received your Social Security number at least one month before your DS-2019 ends, visit your local Social Security office and check on the status of your application.
- If your camp provided housing and you paid a security deposit, collect your refund before you leave. (Assuming you leave your housing in the same condition in which you found it.)
- Write down your camp’s information – including the name, address, manager’s name, phone number, and email of your camp – in case you need to contact your camp during your grace period or after returning to your home country.
- If you want to return to the same camp next year, speak to your camp director about returning. Talking in person is one of the best ways to make future plans.
- Ask your camp to write you a letter of recommendation. When you start to look for jobs in your home country or elsewhere, this letter is a great way to demonstrate your qualifications.