Obtaining Your J-1 Camp Counselor Visa

After you are accepted to CIEE Camp Exchange USA and have received your camp placement, you will need to apply for the J-1 visa you need to travel to the U.S. The visa application process will include both an online application and a visa interview at your nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.

To complete this process, you will generally have to follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the online visa application and print a copy of the confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  2. Schedule an in-person interview as part of the online application. Please note: Wait times for interviews vary by country, season, and visa category. You can see estimated wait times in your country here.
  3. Pay the non-refundable visa application fee.
  4. Gather and prepare the following documents:

    Passport – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
    Nonimmigrant visa application confirmation page – Print this after filling out your online visa application.
    Application fee payment receipt – Applicable only if you are required to pay before your interview.
    Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online visa application. If the photo upload fails, you must bring a printed photo in the format required by the U.S. Embassy.
    Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (Form DS-2019) – You will receive this form from CIEE.
    Additional documents (if required) – Please check with your nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate to see if there are any additional required documents.
  5. Attend your visa interview. A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa. You may be asked to provide evidence regarding the purpose of your travel, your ability to pay all travel costs, and your intent to depart the United States after your program.
  6. After your visa is approved, make arrangements to pick up your passport and visa.
  7. Fly to the U.S. and present your passport, visa, and DS-2019 paperwork to the immigration officer at the airport.

Welcome to the U.S.! Your exciting summer can now begin.

Important Reminder

Your CIEE international representative is in invaluable resource and is available to help you with any additional visa-related questions!