Documents Checklist

To apply for and participate in CIEE Camp Exchange USA, you will need current and correct copies of the documents listed below. Some of these documents will be provided to you after you’ve been accepted to Camp Exchange USA or been placed at a camp; other documents, such as your passport, are your responsibility.

All documents must be taken to the U.S. when you travel. Do not pack any of these documents in your checked luggage; take all of them on the plane with you. Also be sure to print out at least two copies of each document. Leave one copy at home with a parent or friend.

For more information about each document, make a selection below:


Your DS-2019 is a form that permits you to seek an interview at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in order to obtain a J-1 visa. Since we are your visa sponsor, your DS-2019 will be issued by CIEE and will be provided to you by your CIEE representative in your home country. Be sure to bring your DS-2019 to your J-1 visa interview. You will also need to present your DS-2019 form to the immigration officer upon entry to the U.S.

Important notes about your DS-2019:

  • Your DS-2019 identifies CIEE as your sponsor and shows the exact dates you can legally work in the U.S.
  • The dates on your DS-2019 may differ from your J-1 visa dates and/or the Camp Exchange USA program dates that are indicated on your Confirmation of Insurance.
  • If your camp placement or contract dates change for any reason after you have arrived in the U.S., you must contact CIEE to adjust these dates in SEVIS (read more about SEVIS below) so that you are legally authorized to work.
  • If you work outside of your authorized dates, you will be in violation of the CIEE Camp Exchange USA program rules; this may affect your future applications for U.S. visas.


You will receive your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) receipt along with your DS-2019 after your CIEE Camp Exchange USA application is successfully processed. SEVIS is a system used by the U.S. government to track visitors to the U.S. You will need to take the SEVIS receipt with you to your U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate interview.


You will need a valid passport to travel the U.S. Please know that damaged or expired passports will not be accepted by the U.S. Embassy, so you will need to renew your passport if it has expired or is badly damaged.

Please note: Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the period of their intended stay.


You will need a valid J-1 visa in order to enter the U.S. To get your J-1 visa, you need to contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in your home country and schedule an interview. Your international representative will help you with this process.

Important note: Your J-1 visa will either be a single-entry or multiple-entry visa. If your J-1 visa has an ‘M’, that means you can enter the U.S. multiple times; if it has an ‘S’, that means you can enter the U.S. one time only.

If you have a single-entry J-1 visa, you should not leave the U.S. during your CIEE Camp Exchange USA program; if you do, you will not be allowed to return on the same J-1 visa.


This document is issued by CIEE and serves as confirmation of your CIEE health insurance coverage dates. You should not be in the U.S outside of these dates because you will not have insurance coverage. The dates on your Confirmation of Insurance are called your Program Dates, which will differ from the dates on your DS-2019 Form, which only indicate your work dates. If you want to travel in the U.S. at the conclusion of your program, you need to have insurance coverage for this period of time. CIEE insurance will cover you for 30 days of travel in the U.S. beyond your last day of work at camp. Your insurance ID card is your Proof of Insurance form.


This form contains your camp details, program dates, and indicates that CIEE is your visa sponsor. Be sure to travel with this document in case you are asked to provide it to U.S. Customs upon arrival in the U.S. If your camp issues you a separate contract or agreement form (see below for more information), be sure to bring both.


This is an additional agreement that many camps will ask their counselors to sign. It is a detailed contract outlining conditions of employment and may also contain camp-specific information.


CIEE or your camp will send you a medical health form. All sections of this form must be completed and the form must be signed by your physician. You must bring your completed medical health form to your camp in the U.S.

Please note: Your camp may require additional medical forms and/or proof of vaccination for vaccines required by the state in which your camp operates.


CIEE will provide this form to you at Meet and Greet. If you don’t attend Meet and Greet, your camp will provide this form upon arrival. You will need to complete the form and submit it to your nearest Social Security office. Your camp will provide transportation to and from this office.


CIEE provides you with this letter to help you through the Social Security application process. Please take this with you when you apply for your Social Security card and present it to the Social Security Officer.


CIEE or your international representative will provide you with a copy of the Exchange Visitor Program Welcome Brochure from the Department of State. This brochure will help you understand the purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program, provide you with information on contacting the U.S. Department of State, and introduce you to some of the major requirements and regulations of the Exchange Visitor Program.