Congratulations! You’ve finally arrived at camp. The summer of a lifetime is about to begin. But before we get to the sun, the fun, and the life-changing experiences, there are a few important things you must remember to do:
- Register with SEVIS. If you attend Meet & Greet, CIEE staff will help you register in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). If you do not attend Meet & Greet, you will need call CIEE for help with registering. Please call CIEE to register on the same day you arrive at camp. (If you fail to register with SEVIS within 30 days, your record will be automatically terminated and you will no longer be legally allowed to stay in the United States.)
- Apply for a Social Security number (SSN). All participants must apply for and receive a Social Security number by visiting their local Social Security office. For more information, please click here.
- Fill out your I-9 and W-4, the forms you need to get paid. During your first day or two at camp, you will meet with your camp director or someone in the camp office to fill out the forms you need to get paid. For more information, please click here.
- Start managing your money. Check with your camp to learn how often you get paid. Some camps will pay you a portion of your pocket money every two weeks during the summer; others will pay all of your pocket money at the end of summer (unless you require an advance earlier on). Knowing when you will be paid will help you budget your spending money. (Pro tip: Save the bulk of your pocket money for travel after camp if you intend to stay in the U.S. to travel during your 30-day grace period. You are not eligible to work elsewhere after camp.)
- Have a great summer! Let the fun begin.