The Start of Something Good

Frida Bossen V.

My last week before leaving Denmark was filled with a lot of plans. Everyday I had to meet up with somebody, or visit a person. Mostly because it was important for me to say goodbye, and have a good feeling about it. Also, knowing the last time you see them, would be the last time for 10 months or more, was weird. I’m sure it’s different from person to person but honest: it wasn’t that hard to leave family and friends, as it could have been. I had waited for this experience for months, and I was more ready than ever. With that said, I of course still love my family and friends back in Denmark, and look forward to seeing them again, but it’s not what I feel the most at this time.

The days went by, and it was eventually time to pack for my year in USA. I waited until Monday because of all the plans I had. I had my friend by my side when I did it, I think it’s good to have a second opinion about what and what not to pack, plus it’s nice not to do it alone. Also, I got sorted out in my wardrobe, and my friend got some of my clothes I don’t use, perfect! It’s not a lie that there’s a lot of paperwork when it comes to be an exchange student, so I had to check up on that. More than once, I couldn’t imagine what I would do if I was standing in an American airport missing an important paper? For me it helped to have one to check up on the papers with me, and have a map only for the important papers, and keep less important papers in the suitcase in another map.

Monday evening, my family and I ate at a restaurant, a goodbye meal. I can’t describe how it feels that everything is the last time before you leave, it’s just weird. But then again, you will be home again some day, which I think is the reason why it wasn’t so sad about leaving, because I knew I would be home again, and at that time I just wanted to do what I had waited for, for a long time.

As most people knows; it’s hard to sleep the night before a big thing coming up. And yes, it was. But more because there was so many things to do before leaving, and a whole lot of thoughts about everything. I wouldn’t say I got much sleep, but it didn’t bothered me at all, I just wanted to leave for the airport, and so I did with my family by my side, even though it was early morning. It was time to say goodbye, a little touching, but again, I had other things to think about. I said goodbye, and off I was. I didn’t travel alone, but with seven other exchange students, which I liked, as you were in the same situation, and could share your thoughts. Our travel was a bit problematic, we lost one of our friends in London airport, because he lost his passport, so sad, but he is alright now. The rest of us had to board for the flight to New York, and the rest of the travel went good. Seven hours later we landed in America, got through US. custom, got (all of) our luggage and was met by people from CIEE in the airport, we then drove with a bus to the hotel, and could finally relax after many hours on the go. 

I hope you enjoyed reading my first blog post, about my days before leaving and how my departure went. See you until next time!

Love Frida, Denmark