School "Spieltag"

Olivia L.

Recently, my school held their very first ever "Spieltag" or play day, and yes it's exactly what it sounds like. Students showed up to school so that they could play games with their friends throughout the duration of the day. (awesome right?!) This included the entire school from sixth graders to the senior equivalent, everyone was involved.

Students were assigned to a group in their class. This group had to move around to the different games that were set up around the school grounds ie. the classrooms, gyms, or soccerfield. There was practically everything from knowing a contries' flag to tug a war there was practically every game I could think of. Each group had to complete ten games and were given stamps from each showing which they had already played. At the end of the day all the students came together, and they announced the overall team winners from each grade. Unfortunately, mu team, even though we were clearly superior ;p, we were not the winners of our grade and did not receive the chocolate candy prize.

All of the activites were planned and run by students including the games, the date, the teams, and the concession stand. The idea behind the Spieltag was to connect students more fully to their classmates while also providing a brain break from tests before the holiday. It was a wonderful way to be able to get to know my classmates a little better without the stress of the impending school classwork. So, in conclusion, this Spieltag war wirklich Toll! :)