Make it a December to Remember

Frida Bossen V.

Christmas is just around the corner, which is my favorite holiday at all time. I love everything about christmas; the food, christmas light, homemade cookies, the family get to together and of course the music. As many other things, it will be very different from how it’s done in Denmark. Which doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but the opposite. It’s easy to do the normal and familiar. And it’s hard to do the unusual and the different. But in the end, it will give you a new experience, good or bad, which you will learn from, and maybe change your way of seeing life in a better way.

A big difference this christmas is definitely going to be the food. In Denmark we bake christmas cookies with lots of different seasoning, especially with cinnamon. Clementines is eaten all month long, and the smell of it is just as good as the taste. In Denmark, christmas is celebrated the 24th, and not on 25th. We eat a big dinner, which typically includes potatoes, roast pork or duck, cooked red cabbage and brown sauce, and for dessert we eat Ris a la mande. After the dinner, we dance around the christmas tree while singing christmas songs.Then we open all the gifts, one after one, and have a great time with our families.

Now; the american christmas is going to be something a whole different in many ways.

This year I will celebrate christmas on the 25th in the morning as many other americans, I’m not sure yet how that’s going to be. I do know my host family and I will go to my host mom’s mother on one of the Sundays in December, where a lot of family will be, and probably some good food. I also know we will go to my host parents son in the morning on the 25th, where his kids and wife will be. A different thing too, is the christmas lights. Which they definitely is a thing they love to use here, it’s everywhere and in big amounts, but it doesn’t bother me, I love christmas lights. In general I love everything about christmas as I said.

To end this blog, I can tell that 1st December was quite different. It was 26 celcius/79 fahrenheit!! In Denmark you can be lucky just to see the sun during December. I do have to notify that the weather here in Louisiana change as fast as a girl change her mind. One day it’s hot and you need to wear shorts, the next day it’s freezing and you have to wear clothes as if you were on the north pole. We did actually have snow here, on November 14th. It was the earliest snow in history for the town I’m living in at the time, and the earliest snow in 100 years for Louisiana. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!