It’s Fall Y’all!

It's no secret that fall is my favorite time of year, so to be able to share my fall favorites with Mara and Grace has been so much fun. Here in Wisconsin, it seems like the weather changes from summer to winter almost overnight, but in the in between is where you'll find us getting lost in corn mazes, consuming all things pumpkin, picking apples, drinking cider by a crackling fire in cozy sweaters, cheering on our football team, and watching Halloween movie classics. Grace is experiencing the changing of the seasons for the first time, and neither one of the girls has ever experienced fall festivities or celebrated Halloween the "American way". Homecoming weekend has by far been my favorite first of theirs. Mara and Grace are both on their high school dance team so they built a float, rode in the parade, performed during halftime at the football game, and joined their friends at the dance. Mara said it was one of the best weekends she has ever had. It brings me so much happiness, and if I'm being honest, it brings me to close to tears to witness the elation and pure joy as they cross things off of their bucket lists and try things like pumpkin pie for the first time. Experiencing firsts through the eyes of our exchange students shines a light on the things we take for granted, and much like the crisp October air, breathes life back into the things that seem monotonous.