Exchanges within European Countries

Skyler F.

The way exchanges are done within Europe are totally different than what is typically thought of as an exchange. At my school we recently had a group of Spanish exchange students come from a partner school in Spain. This was the first time in a few years, due to COVID. This made the group fairly large, with many people taking part.

European exchange seem to be fairly short in time, somewhere between one and two weeks. This seems like a typical amount of time, as I have also heard othe stories of exchange students from Poland and France. Although, you get matched with one person and they come and stay with you, and then you go and stay with them.

These exchanges are almost stricly cultural. This means your exchnge partner will probably not be going to school, along with you not going to their school when you visit them. Normally, you will visit the region around where you live and around where they live. The group my school got from Spain was really excited about the Christmas markets, as Christmas does not seem to be as big of a deal in Spain.

The communication with the exchange students can be especially difficult. Due to it being only cultural, the other students may not speak the same language, such as German, although nearly all European countries learn English pretty well. English can be helpful, although the students we got from Spain did not seem to speak very good English along with no German. This is where a translator can be very helpful and many students used this to communicae with their exchange partners.