13.-14. Februar: Skiing and Exploring a New City

Katherine B.

The Rhön, my region’s mountain range, was blessed with new snow last week. On Saturday, my host family and I went cross country skiing around a nearby moor. I started learning to cross country ski when I moved to Hessen, and so far it has provided excellent opportunities to explore all that my region has to offer. Additionally, I appreciate the chance to exercise, get some Vitamin D, and bond with my host family. Last weekend, the conditions for skiing were perfect: we enjoyed a day of sunshine, bird calls, and fresh, powdery snow. 

The following day, my host mom and I packed a picnic and drove to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, an idyllic city in Northern Bavaria. Rothenburg still boasts many remnants of its medieval history, including a Stadtmauer, or wall surrounding the city, and Fachwerkhäuser. I’m eager to return soon – next time, maybe with a dirndl to match my surroundings. (I’m mostly joking, of course). 

To those of you who applied to CBYX this year, hang in there – when I was an applicant, waiting for an admissions decision was the hardest part. Even now, as I’m applying to universities, I still struggle with patience. Use this time to recharge, if you can. Ich drücke euch die Daumen und wünsche euch viele Grüße aus Deutschland.